Health and Safety
YEAR-BY-YEAR, BARNES CONSTRUCTION HAS MAINTAINED A VERY LOW NUMBER OF REPORTABLE HEALTH AND SAFETY INCIDENTS.
Health and Safety is our first priority. All risks are considered early and reviewed regularly at every stage of our projects. We work to a robust, independently-accredited management system to protect our employees, neighbours and the general public. By supporting our people with the right training, equipment and supervision, we help to make sure that everybody will go home safe.
Our SHEQ team works very hard to ensure that all the bases are covered. They not only undertake what is expected as far as site safety method statements, risk assessments and general health and safety requirements are concerned, but also go the extra mile by visiting local schools and other establishments to help raise awareness of our construction activities whilst providing an understanding of the dangers that exist on construction sites. We believe that we have not only a legal but also a moral and social responsibility to ensure the safety and welfare of all our employees and those we impact upon on a daily basis.
We ensure that we not only meet our health and safety legislative duty and obligations but also convey our expectations to all staff, visitors and sub-contractors via a range of policies and procedures which include:
- A Group Board resolution which sets an overall framework
- An annual action plan which focuses on improvement
- A detailed policy document setting out responsibilities
- A procedures document
- Rigorous external training
- Internally delivered training and toolbox talks
- Bi-annual seminar and targeted meetings with supply chain partners
- Regular committee meetings
- Quarterly Q & A sessions with our Site Management Team
- Regular independent inspection reporting and clearing of health and safety matters on all our sites
- The use of 'Codes of Conduct' and bulletins to establish expectations of Health and Safety performance levels
- Support and attendance at health and safety events
- Incentivisation of on-site health and safety performance